Tuesday 21 October 2008

Neighbourhood Watch

As promised in my election materials- one the top priorities that I and my fellow councillors have is to secure 100% Neighbourhood Watch coverage for Empress. The benefits of this will be not just safer homes but also closer communities and a stronger deterrent effect against petty crimes and anti-social behaviour.

I have already started going round the Marrowbrook and the streets off it and have been impressed at the levels of engagement shown. We are also starting from quite a high level of coverage and I do think that this aim is

In many areas people believe that they have a Neighbourhood Watch because they have signs on their streets but a lot of these have died off as people have left the areas.

Neighbourhood Watches are exactly the sort of community involvement that I have been arguing for over recent years- they show that people can take responsibility for their own areas and do things effectively without the need for government legislation. For this reason, as well as all the benefits they can deliver, I am determined to make this succeed.

So whilst I'll be going round most evenings and weekends there is also a challenge to you. Can you be a coordinator for your area? If so let me know and I'll link you up to our excellent beat officers who will do all they can to help.

No comments: